6 Important Precautions Before Changing WordPress Theme-You Should Not Avoid
At times, it is important to change a WordPress theme. You may want to overhaul the website, or want to get away old outdated theme and want to upgrade to a new WordPress theme. What ever it may be, In this blog we will share most important and unavoidable precautions before changing WordPress theme. You would additionally learn
- Risk associated with change of WordPress theme
- Whether changing a theme is advised in general or not
- Some to do’s and don’ts even if the change of then required
- what happens when you change WordPress theme
- What precaution should I take while changing a WordPress theme
- Things to do before changing WordPress theme
Precautions Before Changing WordPress Theme
1. Do not change a WordPress theme frequently – At the initial days of website when there are very less number of visitors in the site, changing WordPress theme frequently will not have adverse effect. But if your site is slightly old and it has certain good number of visitors ( new or returning ) do not change WordPress theme frequently.
Reason :- A regular visitor may get confused after seeing new layout and may drop off your blog quickly. Even a old visitors who is coming to your site after some time may not recognize the website at first glance. That may result in increases bounce rate. Just like, when a old shop in our neighborhood renovates his shop and we visit after some time, we tend to reconfirm it.
2. Take a back up of all blogs and image again – Though in the WordPress while changing a theme no post or page is lost but there have been some ,very rare instances where datas/blogs were lost or were recovered after some time with great difficulties. So as a precaution, to take a back of all blogs & images before changing WordPress theme.
3.Remember all Manual improvisation in old WordPress theme will be lost. If you had manually edited old theme (as you may had to in order to do some ad placements, A lot of old WoldPress user had inserted ads units of Google adsense and others) all will be lost. You will have to edit a new WordPress them after changing or upgrading it.
What to do if you have do change or upgrade WordPress theme any way :- Before few days of planned upgrade or change of the WordPress theme run a marked message that informs a customs that soon there will a new look and feel of the website .
- Run a marquee mentioning that you have recently changed the layout . be creative ” show a pop up welcome message and welcome a visitors in all new website.
- Try to teach a visitors where can he get his best materials , advice him to search.
- If you are doing email marketing and sending regular updates. Cool inform all you reader that you have recently changed look and feel of the site and you did for good.
- Update in all social medial dashboard about the new design about the website and ask them to visit. share some screen shot and show why the new design is beneficial for them.
- Has similarities in terms of color and design ( At least some similarities should be there )
- Is made with latest updated available so that in long run it do not need any updated. Giving you less opportunity to chance WordPress theme in future
- Change WordPress theme that can increase customer engagement
- There is no direct SEO disadvantage of changing WordPress theme if you are upgrading with latest version of WordPress theme. There may be some indirect SEO advantage if the new WordPress theme is updated to latest version of WordPress or is lighter in size. Read
- There may be some decrease or increase in visitors or in earnings are the ad unite may not appear in the same place it was appearing earlier due to new theme layout.
- In case of drop in revenue ,Experiments with some smart placement of ad units.
- upgrading to a latest version of theme that are compatible with latest version of WordPress will reduce page load time . That may increase site performance. A bad choice of theme will result in just opposite result.